Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Second Job... Continued

2. Commitment! Unless you are single with no friends or family you don't have to worry about this as much, but for those who have to spend time with family etc second jobs don't fit in well. There is nothing better than maybe getting an obscure schedule from your boss at your second job. They may be short on the weekends, then you get scheduled Saturday and Sunday for 2 10 hour days. For most, the weekends are the only time we get off but now they are taken up by long days at that second job you most likely do not enjoy. That time needs to be spent at home with family so you do not miss out on all the little things. Although if you are struggling on your finances that bad... sometimes it is something you have to do. Now if you know you can't survive without the second job you have to do it, but if you are border line then it is still a tough decision.

The other problem with the commitment to a second job is time off. Now if it is nearing the end of the year on your 40hr job and you have to use your vacation before it expires, you have to try to schedule both jobs. Sometimes it is not as easy as you might think. Good luck in this department :)

Same goes with time off to care for sick children/spouse. I know my 40hr job will allow me to take it off and make up the time, but making up the time for my higher paying job may be skewed by the time left from the second job. This here is another reason why I started donating plasma. Yeah yeah, it may sound like I am trying to hype plasma centers up but I am not. I have just found it an easy, convenient way to get some extra money. We all have our little ways of doing it and this is mine, I hope you find yours.

Just a reminder that you are getting the second job to help balance your finances... get out of debt quicker, maybe have some fun money, but make sure of you take care of it right. Do not abuse it, use it for the greater good and hopefully you will get yourself out of the rut.

We should sit back and think of a life without debt (yes even without a mortgage!)... no payments other than gas, electric, car gas, insurance, food, clothes etc. Knock out that car payment and mortgage and look how much money you will have left over. Be sure to invest 10-15% of your income towards retirement and enjoy yourself!

PS. I am testing the fonts to see which one I like best for readability so please bare with me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful that my second job was only temporary. Working too many hours can drive a sane man mad even if the extra $$ helps you out!

    ReplyDelete